What is Round Square?
Bayview Glen and Round Square, click here.
Round Square students make a strong commitment to personal development and responsibility through service, challenge, adventure, and international understanding. Through their participation in community service, work projects, adventuring and exchange programs, Round Square prepares young people to meet – with confidence and compassion – the future challenges awaiting them as active, global citizens.
The Origins of Round Square
Round Square is based on the theories of educational philosopher Kurt Hahn, who believed that schools should serve a greater purpose. His schools prepared young people for life by having them face it directly and experience it in ways that demand courage, generosity, imagination, principle and resolution. Besides Round Square, many programs have evolved from this work, including Outward Bound, the United World Colleges, and the Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards. Round Square Patrons include H.M. King Constantine, H.R.H. The Duke of York and Craig Keilburger.
2014 Round Square Americas Regional Conference
In January 2014, Bayview Glen and St. Clement’s School co-hosted the 2014 Americas Regional Conference at Camp Wanakita in Haliburton, Ontario. The theme of the conference is “Northern Challenge…What Will You Discover?”. Delegates enjoyed activities like snowshoeing, dog-sledding and a night ski across the lake. We were very excited to welcome international delegates from Australia, Colombia, Singapore and Bermuda.
Lower School Activities
In the Lower School, students are introduced to community service by collecting items for food banks, fundraising for school supplies for students in other countries, book drives and Better Beginnings.
Prep School Activities
At the Prep School level, students participate in community service such as collecting items for a local food bank, fundraising for school supplies for students in other countries, book drives and Better Beginnings. In Grade 8, students have the opportunity to participate in a two-week exchange to a Round Square school in North America. Students may also participate in the annual Young Round Square Regional conference, hosted by a different North American host school each spring.
Here’s where Young Round Square has taken our Prep School lately...
- New Brunswick - 3 students and 1 staff attended the Young Round Square Conference at Rothesay Netherwood School
- Exchanges – Grade 7 and 8 students experienced a two-week exchange to Glenlyon-Norfolk School in Victoria, British Columbia and Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School in Alberta
Upcoming opportunities for Bayview Glen Prep School students...
- Annual Young Round Square Regional Conference – 2 students and 1 staff member will attend the 2015 conference hosted by Collingwood School in Vancouver
Upper School Activities
In Grade 9, students have the opportunity to participate in two to three week exchanges to a Round Square school in North America. In Grade 10, students may apply to complete a full-term exchange to any of the Round Square member schools. Students in Grade 11 or 12 may apply to any number of various international exchanges and service projects.
Here’s where Round Square has taken our Upper School lately...
- France – 4 students went on a four-week exchange to Lycée St. Vincent, Paris
- India –7 students and 2 staff attended the Round Square International Conference hosted by Mayo College
- England – 5 students and 2 staff attended the Round Square International Conference hosted by Wellington College
- Denmark – 5 students and 1 staff attended the European Regional Conference hosted by Herlufsholm School
- England – 2 Grade 9 students went on a three-week reciprocal exchange to Windermere School
- Australia – Grade 10 students went on a term exchange to Mowbray College
- Hungary – the Boronka Project, an environmental two-week project organized by Salem School, Germany
- Costa Rica – a two-week eco/adventure service project in March
- Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands – a two-week service project in March
- Kenya – 3 students went on a three-week service project in December
- Florida – 6 students and 2 staff attended the Round Square International Conference hosted by St. Andrew's School, Boca Raton
Upcoming Round Square opportunities for Bayview Glen Upper School students...
- Grade 10 students – term exchanges to any of the 90 member and associate schools of Round Square
- Hungary – the Boronka Project, an environmental 2-week project organized by Salem School of Germany at the end of June/early July
- Peru – a 2-week service project in a mountain community outside of Lima in March
- Panama – a 2-week service project in a small community in rural Panama
- India – a 3-week service project in December with Round Square International
- Kenya – a 3-week service project in December with Round Square International
- Thailand – a 3-week water project in December with Round Square International
- South Africa – a 3-week service project in July with Round Square International
- India – a 3-week service project in July with Round Square International
- Peru – a 3-week service project in July with Round Square International
- Annual Round Square International Conference – the 2014 Fall conference will be hosted by San Skaar Valley School in India
- The Americas Regional Conference will be hosted by Anglo Colegio Colombiano in Bogota, Colombia in April 2015. A delegation of 6 students and 2 staff will be attending