What is Round Square?
Round Square is an association of over 150 schools worldwide. Each shares ambitious goals built around six principles, the I.D.E.A.L.S. of Round Square – Internationalism, Democracy, Environment, Adventure, Leadership and Service.
Round Square students make a strong commitment to personal development and responsibility through service, challenge, adventure, and international understanding. Through their participation in community service, work projects, adventuring and exchange programs, Round Square prepares young people to meet – with confidence and compassion – the future challenges awaiting them as active, global citizens.
The Origins of Round Square
Round Square is based on the theories of educational philosopher Kurt Hahn, who believed that schools should serve a greater purpose. His schools prepared young people for life by having them face it directly and experience it in ways that demand courage, generosity, imagination, principle and resolution. Besides Round Square, many programs have evolved from this work, including Outward Bound, the United World Colleges, and the Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards. Round Square Patrons include H.M. King Constantine, H.R.H. The Duke of York and Craig Keilburger.
2018 Round Square International Conference
From September 20-26, 2018, six students from Bayview Glen will attend the 2018 Round Square International Conference hosted by Lower Canada College (LCC) in Montreal, Quebec. As one of three Canadian schools hosting the conference, LCC will welcome almost 450 student and teacher delegates from 70 schools around the world. The theme for the conference–Bring Your Difference–reflects Canada’s spirit of promoting and respecting diversity. Activities during the conference will include tree planting, leadership activities, keynote speakers, a cultural evening, a service day and outdoor adventures at Jouvence camp. Participating Bayview Glen students are looking forward to sharing their perspectives while also developing their own understandings of respect for difference.
2014 Round Square Americas Regional Conference
In January 2014, Bayview Glen and St. Clement’s School co-hosted the 2014 Americas Regional Conference at Camp Wanakita in Haliburton, Ontario. The theme of the conference is “Northern Challenge…What Will You Discover?”. Delegates enjoyed activities like snowshoeing, dog-sledding and a night ski across the lake. We were very excited to welcome international delegates from Australia, Colombia, Singapore and Bermuda.
Lower School Activities
In the Lower School, students are introduced to community service by collecting items for food banks, fundraising for school supplies for students in other countries, book drives and Better Beginnings.
Prep School Activities
At the Prep School level, students participate in community service such as collecting items for a local food bank, fundraising for school supplies for students in other countries, book drives and Better Beginnings. In Grade 8, students have the opportunity to participate in a two-week exchange to a Round Square school in North America. Students may also participate in the annual Young Round Square Regional conference, hosted by a different North American host school each spring.
Here’s where Young Round Square has taken our Prep School lately…
- New Brunswick – 3 students and 1 staff attended the Young Round Square Conference at Rothesay Netherwood School
- Exchanges – Grade 7 and 8 students experienced a two-week exchange to Glenlyon-Norfolk School in Victoria, British Columbia and Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School in Alberta
Upper School Activities
In Grade 9, students have the opportunity to participate in two to three week exchanges to a Round Square school in North America. In Grade 10, students may apply to complete a full-term exchange to any of the Round Square member schools. Students in Grade 11 or 12 may apply to any number of various international exchanges and service projects.
Trips for 2019
- Ireland Round Square Global Conference hosted by the Rockport School March 11-16.
- Global Journey to Peru March 10-22.
- Round Square Regional Conference in Lima, Peru hosted by Markham College from April 10-17.
Here’s where Round Square has taken our Upper School in the past:
- France – 4 students went on a four-week exchange to Lycée St. Vincent, Paris
- India –7 students and 2 staff attended the Round Square International Conference hosted by Mayo College
- England – 5 students and 2 staff attended the Round Square International Conference hosted by Wellington College
- Denmark – 5 students and 1 staff attended the European Regional Conference hosted by Herlufsholm School
- England – 2 Grade 9 students went on a three-week reciprocal exchange to Windermere School
- Australia – Grade 10 students went on a term exchange to Mowbray College
- Hungary – the Boronka Project, an environmental two-week project organized by Salem School, Germany
- Costa Rica – a two-week eco/adventure service project in March
- Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands – a two-week service project in March
- Kenya – 3 students went on a three-week service project in December
- Florida – 6 students and 2 staff attended the Round Square International Conference hosted by St. Andrew’s School, Boca Raton